The National Service Scheme (NSS) is an Indian-sponsored public service programme by the Department of Youth Affairs and Sports of Government of India which was launched in Gandhiji’s Centenary year in 1969. Aimed at developing students overall personality through community service, NSS is a voluntary association of young people in +2 level, colleges and universities that works for a campus-community linkage. Its cardinal principle is to organize programme by the students themselves, both by the students and teachers through their combined participation in community service, and to get a sense of involvement in the task of nations building. The motto of NSS is “Not me, Not yo, but We”.
The NSS was started in RIHS in the year 1983. The service NSS unit of this college over the years has been highly commended. At present, two units of NSS, one of the girls and the other for the boys, are functioning. Each unit has 50 volunteers and is headed by an NSS officer.
1. To make the students understand the community in which they are living.
2. To make them realize their role in the community.
3. To build a social and civic responsibility.
4. To find practical solutions to individuals and community challenges.
5. To acquire skills in mobilizing community participation.
6. To develop leadership qualities and democratic attitude.
7. To bring capacity to eater emergencies and natural disasters.
a) All bonafide students of the college are able to apply for enrolment in NSS.
b) The selection for admission in N.S.S. will be made by interviewing students personally
c) A minimum of 75% of attendance in the Physical work classes and attendance at two camps are mandatory without which the names will be struck off from the list.
d) Materials issued to the members should be returned to the N.S.S. officer before Annual / Test Examination.
e) Discipline is the prime guiding factor of the N.S.S. The Programme Officer of N.S.S. is empowered to take disciplinary action against any volunteer violating the rules.
f) On all matters related to the N.S.S. the dicision of the Principal is final.